Online Books and Tutorials
- Learn Pascal by Tao Yue
- This clearly written Pascal tutorial includes programming assignments and solutions.
- Pascal Programming Tutorials by Sheepdog Software
- Do not be put off by the "no frills" appearance of this site. The tutorials begin with straightforward examples, giving plenty of detail. They cover interesting extras such as playing sounds, and progress to advanced material. Some examples use the crt unit, which is present in Lazarus but not in Delphi. The crt unit includes the ClrScr procedure to clear the screen and the GoToXY procedure to position the cursor before writing to the screen. There are useful links to resources on other websites, often covering difficult topics.
- How to Program in Pascal and Delphi by Sylvia Langfield
- Google Books has put online a significant number of pages from the Pascal section of this excellent book.
- The Pascal Programming Language by Bill Catambay
- These pages have links to Pascal resources for a variety of operating systems, with many references to the Mac OS.
- This impressive site is most helpful for visual programming in Delphi because it gives form-based rather than console-based examples. It is packed with useful information about the Pascal language, however, and can be a useful source of help for console programs as you become more experienced. Ignore the “Show full unit code” option for viewing examples and use the writeln procedure instead of ShowMessage.
- Reference Guide for Free Pascal (Free Pascal is used by Lazarus.)
- These authoritative pages include plenty of examples and cover the basics through to advanced features of the languages. Differences from Delphi and Turbo Pascal are noted.
Pascal as a Stepping Stone
- Monitor this new site for student programs in languages other than Pascal and for brief "Getting Started" guides to other languages and technologies. A working knowledge of Pascal/Object-Pascal will be assumed. CodeShow also has links to material on this site.
- Pascal Game Development
- Webmaster AthenaOfDelphi ensures that the site is a good source of news (such as advances in Lazarus and Delphi), tutorials and discussions. She is organising the development of the PGD Community Engine, which should allow students to produce even better games.
- Pascal Gamer Magazine
- The magazine, edited by Jason McMillen, is a free, downloadable publication covering game development and design with Pascal and Object Pascal development tools. A section of the site provides a showcase for past PGDAnnual competitions and, most usefully, source code for entries for Dogfight (the 2005 competition).
- Freepascal meets SDL
- An excellent site for learning how to use the Simple DirectMedia Layer
- NeHe Productions
- 3D demonstrations and tutorials
Examination Board Computing Resources
(Specifications, past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports)